Thursday 9 May 2013

Birthdays

Hey guys, only a short post today as it is my Birthday and I don't want to spend the whole day writing this post!


Birthdays are great things when we're young but when we got old we just want to forget they exist. I have some friends who really look forward to their birthdays but then I have family members who wish the day never came so that they wouldn't have to get any less young (see what I did there). Personally, I really enjoy birthdays and think they are a really great thing (aside from all the presents) because they bring people together and can really lighten your mood. It's hard to be sad on your birthday (unless you're a Goth or something) when you're younger because you just look forward to the presents, the atmosphere and the celebration. It's hard to have a celebration if you're sad. So I really do like Birthdays but I know when I get older I'll probably be one of the advocates for banning of birthdays.


It must also not be forgotten that Birthdays are not always occasions of joy. Some people don't look forward to their Birthday because they don't want to get older. This is especially prevalent on the big birthdays like 40th and 50th (don't even get me started on 60th and 70th) which tend to make people very melancholy. Some people are not like this and remain happy about their birthday but there are still just as many who don't look forward to these occasions one bit. Then there are the people who lost loved ones on these days or who have reached the birthday of someone who died recently. I know this happened last year when my grandfather died. His birthday was the day before mine (so yesterday [May 8]) and last year he died in the middle of April (he died on the morning of my Brother's 21st Birthday) and so come May 8 we were not so happy because we weren't celebrating a birthday we had being celebrating for as long as I can remember. This was especially hard on my grandmother who had being married to him for 54 years. So Birthdays may be happy occasions but they can also be very sombre ones too.


I love Birthdays but then there are those that don't enjoy them for a variety of reasons. I really enjoyed this Birthday because I got some really cool presents and (aside from other things) I got tickets to go see King Kong which is going to be AWESOME and I can't wait. June 30 (when I'm going) couldn't come fast enough!


May the odds be ever in your favour, see you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment