Friday 28 February 2014

A Mixed Bag

This week was one of those mixed bag moments when there were some very good highs, but also some incredibly deep lows. The lows started right away on Saturday with the news of the tragic suicide of Charlotte Dawson, a former model turned television personality, who fell victim to cyber-bullying. It was a very poignant reminder of how dangerous bullying can be and how what we say online can affect others. There was a lot of public outcry over the circumstances of her death, or rather the reasons behind it. Charlotte Dawson suffered depression as a result of the cyber bullying she received on a daily basis and she was working through it but sometimes it can only be one message to much to send someone over the edge. In light of this, I am dedicating the rest of this post to all those victims of Cyber Bullying, including the ones we do not hear about,  may their souls and the message they leave behind be heard by all instigators of Cyber Bullying all over the internet. It may be funny now but it will not be once you are in front of a court having been the cause of someone committing suicide.


In other news, the Sochi Winter Olympics celebrated its Closing Ceremony earlier this week. Now we have to wait another two years for the Commonwealth Games which always gets a lot more attention than the Winter Olympics which is sort of weird considering the Olympics has more teams than the Commonwealth Games. I guess maybe the Winter Olympics are just not as popular as the Summer Olympics which feature the more 'popular' sports. Again on a more positive note, Relay for Life is coming up again. I am actually organising the team for my Kokoda program as the one that some students are trying to organise at school involves students from all four select entry schools in Victoria. This means that they are looking to get involved with the Relay at Albert Park which is more central for the four schools. The thing is, this Relay is been held on the 26th/27th of April which is the day after I get back from Kokoda so there was no way I was going to be able to participate. It just makes it more exciting though to be able to organise the relay team myself. This week has also been a week of a lot of birthdays. There was my father's birthday on Wednesday and then my friend Xavier's birthday was today and we had a celebration at lunchtime today which was fun. Happy Birthday to you guys (more to Xavier though as Dad does not read these but Xavier reads some so there's a chance he will actually read this). Weekly training on Monday nights have also restarted for CFA which is exciting as I started my Low-Structure course this week which, once completed, will allow me to fight house fires from closer up (instead of from the sides and further back as support as I do now). Once I complete this I will also be able to complete my BA (Breathing Apparatus) course which will allow me to enter building fires or other fires with dangerous chemicals in the air. It basically allows me to fight fires from closer up and be more involved in the structure-fire-fighting.

A very mixed bag this week, see you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment