Friday 21 February 2014

WE WON!

Welcome back to the second "The Week that Was" segment on Daily Lukey. For those of you who do not know, this is the segment where I go through some of the events of the week. These can come from my life or from the wider world but all have had some significance in the past week. I begin today by elaborating on the title. Yesterday our school had our school Swimming Carnival which was a lot of fun. I did not swim but I did marshal for the first half of the day which earned house points to go towards winning. In the end, the best team did win (that means my team by the way) and as I am still Deputy House Captain until the new ones are elected it was a great feeling. As my school is only four years old there has only been four swimming carnivals yet my house has never lost a single swimming carnival. In fact, we have only ever lost one sporting competition which was the house Athletics Carnival last year but we did come second. It was great though but still, not unexpected. I mean, "we are the red team, the mighty red team. We are the strongest, we are the best. We'll stick together, in any weather. And we will win the sports today." That is actually our house "chant" which is sung to the tune of "you are my sunshine". Again, it is the best.


In other news, I have to think of something else to talk about. A big issue in the media this week is the impending release of Julian Knight who was the perpetrator of the infamous Hoddle Street Massacre which killed 7 people and injured another 19. Through his time in prison, Mr Knight has shown none of the remorse he should and so the Government is not convinced of his rehabilitation. As a result, they are drafting new legislation which will allow Julian Knight to remain in prison indefinitely. This has raised a lot of debate as to whether this infringes on Mr Knight's basic human rights. He has done the time he was assigned for the crime he committed and the big issue is whether this should mean that he is set free. Mr Knight has completed a law degree while in jail and so he is actually a pretty smart man who might be able to contest this. However, this is not the first time that the Government has passed such legislation. Back in 1990, there was another issue over the impending release of Garry David who had committed some more heinous crimes and had threatened to recommit again when he got out. Even while in jail he still sent a lot of threats out to the community as he had a big issue with authority in general and, in particular, the police. As a result, the Victorian Government faced a similar issue to Julian Knight. In the end they passed legislation that would mean that Mr David would remain in prison indefinitely until his life was put in danger at which point he would be moved somewhere else (such as a hospital for instance if he was terminally ill). It is quite possible that the same thing will occur again for Julian Knight who is a person who many never want to see from this side of a jail cell. Something I neglected to mention last week was the release of Schapelle Corby from an Indonesian prison after serving a nine year prison sentence for drug trafficking after a large bag of marijuana was found in her boogy-board case. The worst part is that the public will never know the truth as to whether she is innocent or not as all we have to go by is her word. An issue that has arisen over this is whether Schapelle Corby should be allowed a television interview to tell her story. If she is to do this she will be set to receive a lot of money. In Australia, this would be illegal as there is legislation to prevent criminals profiting from a crime. However, if all the payments were to be done while she was serving her parole period in Indonesia (she cannot leave until her parole period finishes in 2017) Corby would be allowed to keep her payment. However, her parole officer has warned her not to do it as she is on strict parole conditions and an interview like that could land her back in a Bali prison. Schapelle Corby is lucky to be alive however as in Indonesia, they take drugs a lot more seriously and so the death penalty still applies to drug-related offences. Before I finish, I just want to say that there will most likely be no post tomorrow as I am out literally all day except for some very short breaks. I leave for training at 7:45am before returning home by around 1pm before having to leave again and go to a party shortly after. From this party I need to go to my father's party straight afterwards and so I am not set to return home until pretty late tomorrow night. For this reason, please forgive me for the lack of post tomorrow. I have also been sick the past few days with a very sore throat so this weekend will be my chance to catch up on the sleep that will help me feel back to normal by Monday. So I guess I will see you all Sunday.

Those were the big items of the week, join me next week for some more. See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment