Saturday 27 April 2013

Quirks

Quirks, we all have them. They are what separates us from the billions of others in the World. It is because of these quirks that a mother can tell between her two twins, or an owner from their identical dogs. Quirks are what separates us apart from those around us and what makes us who we are.


We all have quirks, some have more pronounced quirks while others have quirks you don't actually notice until they are pointed out to you. Sometimes we have quirks that we don't actually realise we have until someone comments on it. My family has all sorts of weird quirks which, at times, can make us hate each other or love each other. Sometimes even both, somehow. My mother, for instance, has a weird (and annoying) quirk of wanting to pay in exact change so she doesn't have so many coins while my Dad, on the other end of the spectrum, has so many coins that they're everywhere he has been. It's sort of like Hansel and Gretel with my Dad except instead of breadcrumbs, there's coins. I don't mean he drops coins when he goes into shopping centers but I mean, when he's at home and he's walking around he'll leave a pile on his bedside table, at the front door (on the bench, not the floor) or in my room (I'm not complaining, it's money in my room).


My brothers also have their own quirks. My middle brother, Joshua, gets hooked on TV shows and so when he gets hooked on one he will go out to the store and buy a season on DVD and then he'll finish that and go onto the next one. Or he'll re-watch a series we have at home and just spend weeks watching it. It really annoys my Mum because he's in Year 12 and doing VCE and he watches more TV than he does studying.  I mean, I do more studying than him and I am in Year 10 and only doing one VCE Unit 1/2 subject whereas his are all Unit 3/4 subjects because he is in Year 12. My eldest brother has his own quirk where he'll watch football (AFL, not that American crap) but he won't just watch it, he'll start screaming at the TV and you can understand what's going on down the other end of the house without having to turn the TV on. It gets really annoying though when you're trying to go to sleep. He can be a pain sometimes. I also have my quirks. One of them is the way I write in my books during class. Instead of facing the book Portrait like everyone else I turn my book sideways so it is landscape but I still write in portrait so instead of writing horizontally my arm is hooked around at a 90 degree angle and I write vertically up the page. I didn't actually realise this was a quirk until I got to high school and people were amazed at how I wrote. I say amazed because I couldn't think of a better word. I guess they were more confused rather than amazed.


So you see, we all have our quirks even if we don't realise it. Our quirks are part of what make up that 0.1% of DNA that is different to everybody else. The other 99.9% of our DNA is identical to the others around us but it is that 0.1% that makes all the difference, that makes up our skin colour, our eye colour, our personality and our quirks. So, however annoying our quirks may be we just have to remember that they are a part of us and without them the world be a worse place to be.


May the odds be ever in your favour, see you tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. I find the amount of times you used quirks quirky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait until you see how many times I used the word Faith in tomorrow's post. It will be out by 7:30pm tomorrow, scheduled for release at 2:00am Blogger Time.

    ReplyDelete