Friday 5 April 2013

Oz The Great and Powerful and "Kid" Movies


So today I went to see Oz The Great and Powerful, late I know. I went with my father as he had a day off today and everyone else was working. I just loved the story-line and although some people found it aimed at a younger generation, which it was to a certain extent, I loved it and was enthralled in the story behind Oz and the struggles of that great land. As this is based on the actual Oz series by Frank L. Baum (Yes, The Wizard of Oz isn't the only book in the series). It is a prequel to that book (and movie) and shows the power struggles for Oz and how the Wizard became, well, The Great Oz even though he doesn't have any magic like the Witches. It also shows how the Wicked Witch of the West came to be. Of course, it was not as good as Wicked but then nothing could really live up to that expectation in my eyes.

Oz The Great and Powerful is a successful mix of comedy, action and drama with no singing like in the 1939 MGM film, "The Wizard of Oz" and I am definitely buying that DVD when it comes out. It was fascinating to see the struggle for Oz between Evanora (Rachel Weisz),Theodora (Mila Kunis) and Glinda (Michelle Williams), the Witches of Oz, and how Oz (the magician [James Franco]) was stuck in a lie between them. What you think at the start of the movie is completely different to what you witness by the end and it really changes your view of Oz and the Wicked Witch of the West (not as much as Wicked but still, a valiant effort).

This movie shows that you can never be too old to enjoy a good fairy tale. This brings me on to my next point about movies that are aimed at the Younger Generation, or "Kids". I just have to say that I have enjoyed some animated films more than my younger cousins who are at the age where they like the movies but feel too old to admit they like the movie. For example, Wreck it Ralph was a genuinely funny and good movie that my grandmother and I both really enjoyed more than my younger cousins who were watching it with us. It shows that even though these movies are aimed at the younger generation it does not mean that teenagers and above can't enjoy them as well.


Coming out later this year is another kids movie I think is going to be really good and I want to see (probably with my younger cousins so it doesn't feel so weird) it because I just do, live with it. It is, of course, Monsters University, the sequel to the well-received Pixar Film, Monsters Inc. I don't care if I am above the intended age of the audience, I want to see it because I really enjoyed the first one. Also coming out further down the track is Finding Dory, a movie just announced a few days ago set to be released in 2015 (the year I graduate from High School, yay) which also happens to be the year Mockingjay Part 2 is set to be released, the final installment of the Hunger Games saga! I just want to see what happens next in "Finding Dory" which is apparently set in California a year after the events of "Finding Nemo" and is about Dory reconnecting with her family. Should be funny since Dory was such a funny character in "Finding Nemo" plus Ellen Degeneres' comedy just adds more layers of humour.


So you are never to old to see Kid's movies!

May the odds be ever in your favour, see you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment