Tuesday 4 June 2013

Regrets

We will all face regrets throughout our lifetime. To have experienced only one regret is to be lucky, most experience a lot more. I am only 16 and I already have a few regrets. Some of these regrets are choices that, if made the other way, would not actually be beneficial and this is true in many cases. Regrets can eat away at us and leave us questioning. Regrets can ruin a person and are very hard to get over. Basically, regrets are not good.


Regrets can linger for many years and can make us question our every move. Even if we had taken the other choice our life may not have turned out for the better. Sometimes people say they regret not seeing their grandparents pass away when they could have been with them at the end. I myself have been in this position and have decided to stay home simply because my grandfather, though dying, was already gone. He barely recognised any of us and was asleep most of the time. When he was awake he was too much in a haze to even acknowledge we were there at times. So I made the decision not to be there in his final moments and sometimes I regret this decision but know that if I had of gone in there I would have been scarred because he did not die in a pretty way. After 2 years fighting with Cancer it was a relief to see him finally at rest because it meant he was no longer in pain and those last few hours were, as I was told, dreadful and it was one of the worse ways he could have gone. So although some people regret the decisions they make sometimes we need to realise that choosing something else may not have been better. I did not want to remember my Grandfather for what he was towards the end and so some days I regret not being there for the last moments (I did visit him in hospital while he was a little more 'him') but others I am glad I was not there so I did not have tainted memories of him.


Death is a major source of regret. Many people have regrets that are in some way linked to death. Some people regret having an argument with someone that meant you no longer spoke to them. People regret this as it goes on for years without contact and then other person dies and you worry they still think you hate them. People regret not biting the bullet and just apologising because when a person dies they have no chance to do it anymore. Some people also have regrets in the form of "What if... ?" which can leave a person second guessing themselves for years to come. If you continue asking yourself "What if... ?" you are never going to move on with your life and will always be stuck on that one point of time that can no longer be changed. So sometimes we need to stop asking the "What if" and begin to move on with our lives or we will die wondering. Regrets are horrible things yet a world without them would be hard to live in. Regrets define us and without them we would lose ourselves.


May the odds be ever in your favour, see you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment