Sunday 18 August 2013

Annoying Things People do at Melbourne University Open Days

So last week you may recall I wrote a very similar post about some of the annoying things people do at University Open Days. That was all from my experiences at the RMIT University Open Days and I thought that there was no way that people could top some of the annoying things people did that day. However, today I went to the Melbourne University Open Day and my view of how annoying people can be changed. I am sad to say that I lost some of my faith in the future generations as well as their parents. For those of you who do not know, Melbourne University is the leading University in Victoria and has just being named Australia's number one University for 2013 so congratulations to them. Basically, it is like Melbourne's version of Oxford and due to its ranking and reputation it had a very busy Open Day with thousands of students (and their parents) trying to find the right course for them. This large volume of people also lead to a few annoying (and sometimes selfish) things that people did.


Before I go on I am just going to reiterate one of the points I made last Sunday about people stopping in the middle of busy pathways. This happened so many times today and it was even more annoying as it was a lot busier than the RMIT Open Day so it caused more blockages. Most of the time it was just teenage girls fan-girling (if you could call it that) over meeting new people. It was just so annoying. Other times it was just people arguing over where they were and where they should go next. Guys, just think about others around you when you do this. The second annoying thing I found today occurred during the Bachelor of Science information session. This session was so packed that they had to stop letting people in and the first time we tried to get in it was too full (and this was us arriving fifteen minutes before it started). So basically you either came very early (like we did the second time) or tried your luck at coming a little bit later. So imagine my annoyance when I saw people not even paying attention to what was going on and instead texting or playing on their phones. It was just so disrespectful and rude to both the lecturer and the voluminous amount of people who could not make it in. Some people would miss out while others got the opportunity but did not do anything or even pay attention. It really set me off the deep end (in my mind, I am not that kind of person [ or am I? {Seriously though, I am not}]). Then there were the parents who did not care about anyone but themselves and so when Dad and I arrived around forty minutes early for the next session (we had to otherwise we would never get in) there were already people waiting so we waited behind them in the corner so we did not block the exits for people coming out when this eventually did occur. However, around 20 minutes before it is about to start a few parents come storming down and push their way towards the front of the crowd. Then they give everyone who is shooting them daggers death stares. Seriously, if looks could kill there would have been a massacre at the Sidney Myer Asia Centre. It was just incredibly rude, selfish and disrespectful of them to expect to get ahead of people who had been waiting upwards of half-an-hour. One lady was actually told to leave because of doing this and believe me, I wish I could have cheered (but that would have woken up Dad who kept falling asleep on me [not literally on me but you get the point]). So that was my annoying University Open Day experience I had to get out of my way. Seriously though guys, the rest of the day was exceptionally wonderful (despite the bad weather) and Melbourne University is a great place to learn.

Do not let the annoying things ruin your day, see you tomorrow!

6 comments:

  1. I saw like 5 young kids under 10 being towed along by their parents. Surprisingly, they were all Asians. Why you no talk about that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the Law Building information session guest presenter was also so boring. I fell asleep so many times during his speech. When he was done I clapped like I've never clapped before. Not because he was amazing and addressed important points with wit and humor, but because he was done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have any idea why the freebies were gone when you were there? It's because a mutual friend of ours whose name starts with "Al" and ends with "ia" and has one vowel in the middle of those took everything. Popcorn, cans of soft drinks, bottles, cotton candy, whatever. All gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The people that helped today, i find, didn't really know what they were doing. The most helpful and initiative people were the ones giving away free shit which our mutual friend was over eager to accept

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, instead of standing around and looking like a fool, you could go around and visit more sites. And why'd your father tag along? It's more fun if you went with friends. Or alone. Or not went at all. Or get in the TARDIS and skip the day entirely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What the HELL do u think ur saying? I went to way more places than u. I went to the Bachelor of Science info session, the bachelor of environments info session, the civil engineering info session, the bachelor of science displays, bachelor of environments displays, IT Displays and Engineering Displays. So don't u DARE say I didn't go anywhere. I was there from 10am to 3pm and just because I didn't write about it does not mean it did not happen. Dad tagged along to keep Mum happy 'cause she was working. Careful what you say

      Delete